Monday, April 06, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much will it cost to register my vehicle?

Title Fees
Transfer Fees
  • Autos less than 4500 lbs.
  • Autos over 4500 lbs.
  • 12M Trucks
  • Motorcycles
  • Motorbikes
  • 2000 – 8000
  • 8001 – 1200
  • 12001 and over

a. If the weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer's own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the County Treasurer's Office.

b. Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in the County Treasurer's Office. This link will give you an estimate for the property tax on your vehicle purchase:

The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser's Office. 

c. Reflectorized plate fee is $0.50.

d.Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate is 9.2% in the city of Council Grove, and 7.5% in the rest of Morris County. The sales tax percentage will be figured either on the place of purchase, or the place of the buyers residence, whichever is higher. If purchasing from a dealer that has a lower sales tax rate than where the purchase lives, the purchaser will pay the difference is sales tax when purchasing tags.

e. The fee to transfer a tag is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax.

Q. What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?

A. The fee to transfer is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax. The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the $0.50 plate fee. The old vehicle must be sold or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.
Q. I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

A. If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle. If two names appear on the title with and/or between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with and between them, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection done. Inspections are done at the Morris County Sheriff office. The cost is $20.00 in cash. (Note:Note this can be done at any Highway Patrol office.)
If you do not have the title because the lienholder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, you will need to call that lienholder and have a copy of the title faxed to the Morris County Treasurer's Office (FAX# 620-767-6861). With your faxed copy, you will then be able to get your vehicle inspected by the Morris County Sheriff's Department. Sometimes the state you're coming from will request something in writing before releasing a copy of the title. In that case we can register your vehicle with a copy of the out-of-state registration. The State will then request the title from the lienholder and send you a copy to take along for the VIN inspection. The State will send a self-addressed envelope for your return of the inspection form. Titles are issued when the lien is paid in full.

Q. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?

A. You will need the title or MSO (if it's a new car), signed and notarized over to you, the sales tax receipt or notarized bill of sale, the car's current mileage, and your proof of insurance. When transferring a tag between two cars, you need the current registration or tag number of the old car and the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold.

Q. What are your office hours?

A. The Treasurer's Office is open between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., including lunch hour, Monday through Friday.

Q. Where are you located?

A. Tags are purchased in the Morris County Treasurer's on the main floor of the Morris County Courthouse at 501 W. Main, Council Grove, KS.

Q. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?

A. All out-of-state title for used vehicles (and Kansas Non-Highway vehicles) require inspection. The fee is $20.00 in CASH ONLY and can be done at the Morris County Sheriff Office.  Please call at 620-767-5615 and make arrangements. Non-highway titles are inspected by the Highway Patrol.

Q. How can I renew my tags if I didn't get a renewal notice in the mail?

A. Take your registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the Morris County Treasurer's Office, and they will be able to process your renewal.

Q. How can I get a refund, and what forms will I need?

A. Bring in your tag, current owner's registration, Social Security number (for a personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or lease vehicles), and name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received.

Q. My tag was stolen. What do I do?

A. You will need to report the plate stolen to the Sheriff's Office (620-767-5615). Bring the tag number and proof of insurance, and we will replace the tag for $3.50.

Q. How do I get a personalized tag?

A. The price for personalized tags is $46.00, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes. You will also need to fill out a Personalized tag form.

Q. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?

A. If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county in Kansas, they MUST be paid before vehicles can be tagged.

Q. How can I pay for my tags?

A. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, cashier's check or credit card. 

Q. Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?

A. This is done at the Morris County Treasurer's Office in the County Courthouse.

Q. Do my tags expire on the first day or the last day of the month?

A. Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, with the exception of heavy trucks (over 12,000 lbs.) and trailers, which expire Dec. 31 with a grace period until the last day of February.

Q. Why aren't my tags good for a full year?

A. Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bought new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the month the title is notarized until the month your tag comes due, which is determined by your last name. See the Tag Schedule table for month of renewal.

Q. I am a military dependent. Shouldn't I be exempted from property taxes?

A. No. Only the active duty military member is exempt.

Q. Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?

A. No. There are no extensions.

Q. My doctor says I'm permanently handicapped. Why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?

A. Law requires re-certification every three years for verification of status of the handicapped individual.

Q. Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?

A. The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, it is the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt.

Q. I am in the military but a Kansas resident. Do I pay taxes on my vehicle?

A. If the military person and the vehicle are stationed in Kansas, the vehicle is not exempt. If the military person is a resident of Kansas, but stationed in another state or deployed from their home base, then they can receive the expemption on two (2)  vehicles.

Q. I own businesses in several counties in Kansas. Where do I register my vehicle?

A. The vehicle should be registered in the county where the main business in located.

Q. I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my wife's name. Do I have to pay taxes on the vehicle?

A. Yes. The service member must be included on the title in order to be exempt.

Q. Do I have to get a Kansas driver's license if I have Kansas plates?

Q. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?

A. Yes. You first have to acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business.

 For available forms click the link below:



The Treasurer's Office is open between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., including the lunch hour, Monday through Friday.


Tags are purchased in the Morris County Treasurer's Office on the main floor of the Morris County Courthouse at 501 W. Main Street, Council Grove, KS.