Friday, June 05, 2020

Treasurer:  Motor Vehicles Division

Motor Vehicle

The Morris County Treasurer's Office is an agent of the State of Kansas for registering and titling motor vehicles. We issue license plates upon receipt of proper documentation and submission of the correct fees. The fees include registration fees, personal property taxes, title fees and sales tax, if applicable.


Renewal notices are mailed out as courtesy reminders six (6) weeks prior to the expiration date of the license plate. They are not forwarded to address changes.


State law requires applicants to provide proof of insurance on each vehicle being registered. This can be an insurance card issued by the insurance company, or a photocopy thereof, a binder of insurance, a motor carrier ID number issued by the state corporation commission, fleet insurance, or a certificate of self insurance issued by the Insurance Commissioner.  Insurance Requirements


Initial titling of vehicles when purchased is another function of the office. In order to title a vehicle, the applicant must have an assigned title or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. The new owner has 60 days to bring the documents into the office for processing. After the 60 days, penalties will be assessed.  Titling, Fees and Refunds

Vehicles with out-of-state titles must have a VIN inspection done before the vehicle can be titled in Kansas. This inspection is provided in the sheriff’s office which is located at the west end of the Court House. The cost is $20.00 cash. This procedure is checking for stolen vehicles and matches the VIN number on the car to the one on the title. This is not a safety inspection.


License plates for cars, pick-ups, motorcycles and RVs in Kansas expire based on the first letter in the last name of the first person listed on the title. Vehicle Tag Schedule

Don't forget your proof of insurance!



All Motor Vehicle Records are Protected by Federal Privacy Act.